AN INTEGRATIVE APPROACH TO PET KIDNEY DISEASE
TRADITIONAL NUTRITIONAL RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THE KIDNEY PATIENT
-protein should be restricted but of very high biologic value
-phosphorus should be restricted to minimize GI irritation
-sodium should be restricted to minimize resultant high blood pressure.
There are four widely used prescription diets for kidney patients, either dogs or cats: Hill’s Prescription, Royal Canin, Purina, and Iams. We also have recipes for home-cooked meals if you’d like.
TRADITIONAL MEDICAL RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THE KIDNEY PATIENT
–ACE inhibitors (benazapril, enalapril) to support kidney function and minimize high blood pressure.
–Anti-nausea drugs like famotidine and cimetidine
–Oral phosphorus binders to help prevent P from being absorbed from the gut.
–Fluids and diuretics like Lasix to help increase urine flow.
–Pentoxyfilline is a drug recently recognized to improve blood flow to the kidneys and minimize scar tissue formation, without noted side effects. Do your research and talk to your vet– it may really help your pet
THE INTEGRATIVE TREATMENT OF PET KIDNEY DISEASE
It is important to understand that the kidneys are a primary receptacle for the body’s metabolic wastes. Thus, our goal is to both reduce the overall amount of toxins in the body with appropriate diet and supplements, but also to make sure that the other pathways of toxin excretion — the liver, lungs, and skin– are maximized.
-INTEGRATIVE NUTRITIONAL THERAPY FOR YOUR KIDNEY PATIENT:
1) Omega Fatty Acids**: given at 25 mg of Omega-3 fatty acids per lb body wt, once a day.
-Alpha Lipoic Acid 20 mg per 10 lb of body weight daily
-Quercetin: 50 mg per 10 lb of body weight daily
-Vitamin E: 8 IU per lb of body weight daily
3) Pyridoxyl 5 Phosphate (Vit B6)**
4) Arginine 50 mg per 10 lb of body weight daily
5) Vitamin B12 in cases of anemia**
6) Milk thistle for liver and immune support
7) Cordyceps mushroom to improve kidney function and immune support**
8) Curcumin to reduce inflammation and scarring:25 mg per lb body weight once a day
9) C0enzymeQ10 to reduce blood pressure and maintain energy;2.5 mg per lb. body weight once a day
(The ubiquinol form is more potent than the ubiquinone form, especially in older pets)
** These ingredients, along with Astragalus and nettle below, are all contained in one pill… and you can get it through us.
-CHINESE HERBAL MEDICINE
1) Astragalus**–Decreases the amount of protein present in the urine (Hui 1963). It has been shown to decrease blood pressure in dogs and cats, and has been shown to improve kidney function in humans with glomerulonephritis (Zhi 1987)
2) Atractylodes (Bai zhu)** Protects the kidneys, and counteracts anemia by stimulating the bone marrow.
3) Codonopsis (Dang gui)** Treats anemia and reduces blood pressure.
4) Ginger (Sheng jiang)**: Peach pit (Tao ren), and Red peony (Chi shao): Inhibit thrombus formation
5) Rhubarb (Da huang)** Shown to decrease BUN and creatinine levels in humans ( Li Shou 1994).
6) White peony (Bai shao):**
** An intimidating list, until you learn that we can combine all of these into one pill.
WE’RE MISSION ANIMAL HOSPITAL. LOVED PETS HEALED HERE.